THE GLADE CONDOS
THE RENOVATION AND PRESERVATION OF THE GLADE STREET YWCA
· Designated a Forsyth County Landmark
· Recipient of the 2014 Winston-Salem, Downtown Partnership’s Excellence Award
· Nominated for the Gertrude S. Carraway Award of Merit by Preservation North Carolina
The YWCA Administration building was constructed in the heart of what is now the Historic West End District of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Construction was completed in 1942 and beginning in 1957, three additional buildings provided a swimming pool, a therapeutic pool, and a Link building that connected the additions with the Administration building. The Link building connected with the south wing of the Administration Building at the first and second floors and internalized exterior walls and roof dormers. The later additions were demolished so that custom, single family homes could be constructed on the remaining property.
The renovation resulted in seven condominiums that range from 2,670 to 1,010 square feet. Design goals for the project included, repair the building’s declining physical condition, minimize alterations to the building’s exterior design while providing modern amenities and systems such as a new mechanical systems, ADA accessibility, provide resident parking, create condominium designs whose space plans preserve the distinctive interior features of the building, partition the building in a manner that preserves the integrity of the existing floor level changes and the most significant interior rooms and spaces.
The administration building received the local landmark designation by the Winston-Salem Historic Resources Commission, and it was selected for a 2015 excellence award by the Winston-Salem, Downtown Partnership.